auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] xemacs (sigh)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] xemacs (sigh)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 19:17:15 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > Like with any piece of Emacs, you check the included Info manual.  In
>    > particular, you look in the respective "News" or "Changes" section in
>    > the respective manual.
>

> [Snip]...
>

>    > Commit messages are _absolutely_ not the place for collecting
>    > release-relevant information. They are supposed to describe the
>    > particular changes affected by a particular commit, not changes by
>    > some unspecific series of commits preceding it.
>
> Ok, I will not argue with you about this issue since you have much more
> experience in maintaining a software project, that I have.
>
> That commit has a tag (at least it appears so when converted to
> mercurial, that is why I personally would have added something like
> (last version which works with Xemacs, for details see the manual or so)

The version has a lot of other changes.  XEmacs has been comparatively
unimportant for a number of years for AUCTeX and vice versa.  Would that
have been any different, it might have been possible to find someone
willing to invest the time and effort for keeping XEmacs supported.  The
end of XEmacs support is not really important enough to single out here.

The summary of changes is listed in a Changes/NEWS file rather than in
commit messages.  It has been announced with the release messages
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-auctex/2017-12/msg00001.html>.
It has been that way for literally dozens of years with AUCTeX, for
quite longer than we have been using Git.

You have been looking in a quite unusual place for the information you
sought, and I should be surprised if you'd have much success with that
approach for other software.  The only thing that might be worth
thinking about is linking to (the latest?) news on AUCTeX's web page.

--
David Kastrup