auctex-devel

Re: Better sorting for TeX-symbol-list

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: Better sorting for TeX-symbol-list
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 10:47:18 -0300

Hi Arash,

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 at 15:38, Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:

I think the function `TeX-symbol-list' just recollects the parsed
information and it isn't that expensive, or do you experiment lags?

Not at all, it was just a theoretical observation (once vs every time). And, if I did, arguably `string-collate-lessp' would be more expensive than `string-lessp'. So, it was not a strong point, anyway.

I'm not using ivy, but I think you can put something like this in your
init file:

  (define-key ivy-minibuffer-map (kbd "M-c") #'ivy-toggle-case-fold)

Hitting M-c in ivy minibuffer after that should put \ac in a more
prominent position (unless I'm missing something). The hint above comes
from here[1].

"For me" I have now:

   (ivy-configure 'TeX-insert-macro :sort-fn #'string-collate-lessp)

But I had made the suggestion because I thought it might have been of general interest. Thanks for the hint, though.

And I appreciate your suggestion.  I just don't believe that adjusting
the sorting in AUCTeX is the right way to go since people tend to have
different preferences which are addressed better somewhere else.

Agreed. ;)
And thanks for considering.

Best regards,
Gustavo.