auctex-devel

Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 08:55:11 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> Hmm, I now realized the current document is sparse about it. I wasn't
> aware of that. I hope I can make some addition in a few days (or next
> week?).

Thanks, no rush here

> Is there any way to notify ELPA AUCTeX users some announcement before
> they attempt to upgrade? It would be preferable to recommend the ELAP
> upgrade procedure as
> 1. Delete ELPA AUCTeX package first, and terminate the emacs session.
> 2. Start fresh emacs session.
> 3. Install ELPA AUCTeX package without doing anything else, and
>    terminate that emacs session.
> 4. Start fresh emacs session and use AUCTeX.

I'm not sure that package.el offers such a thing.  What I sometimes do
is:

 • Install a package
 • Terminate the regular session and start with 'emacs -Q'
 • M-x package-compile PKG RET
 • Terminate again and start a regular session

This should give the same result, right?

> In other words, new AUCTeX relies on these assumptions:
> [1] Installation is done with fresh emacs session.
> [2] Emacs session has undergone the init procedure provided by the new
>     tex-site.el.

I think we have to document one way or the other in the changes section
if Tassilo doesn't have an idea how to solve this with package.

Best, Arash