auctex-devel

Re: can compile and install but not user latest master: now auctex behav

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: can compile and install but not user latest master: now auctex behaves strangly
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 18:25:20 +0100

>>> "UB" == Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
>> Hi Uwe,
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Autoloading file
>> /home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/package...")
>> TeX-latex-mode()
>> apply(TeX-latex-mode nil)
>> latex-mode()
>> set-auto-mode-0(latex-mode nil)

>> There is no TeX-latex-mode anymore in auctex so I guess you have some
>> stale el or elc files laying around.
> Well here is the culprit
> I have still auctex-13.0.9 «installed».  Well actually it was installed
> by a package called  org-edit-latex that has the 13.0.9 dependency. So
> uninstalled 13.0.9 but it still is listed as installed very very strange
> I will try to remove it manually.

Ok I mananged to get rid of all old auctex installations, then I deleted my
installed auctex version, checked out master,
compiled and installed (I know this is not necessary but I like it this way)

So I open a LaTeX file, everything seems alright, like fontifying etc. But when
I run C-c C-C only

8 possible completions:
Clean   Clean All       Other   Print
Queue   Spell   View

Is offered but not the usual commands like LaTeX etc.

Running C-h m gives me

Minor modes enabled in this buffer: Latex-Math Tex-Fold Auto-Save
Diff-Hl Flyspell Font-Lock Orglink Page-Break-Lines Prettify-Symbols
Reftex Tex-Procress Virtual-Comment

The major mode is LaTeX/FMPS mode defined in latex.el:

Major mode in AUCTeX for editing LaTeX files.
See info under AUCTeX for full documentation.

Entering LaTeX mode calls the value of ‘text-mode-hook’,
then the value of ‘TeX-mode-hook’, and then the value
of ‘LaTeX-mode-hook’.

Any ideas what's up?

I still fail to see the benefit of this new approach (sorry Keita, I know it
was a lot of work).

For example commit ab3f1770f37d (8th of December) works without any problem.

Regards

Uwe