[Audio-video] Audio video recording : Pour une Société Numérique Libre

From: Stéphane Igounet
Subject: [Audio-video] Audio video recording : Pour une Société Numérique Libre - Université d'Avignon
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:11:26 +0100

Hi Jeanne, Hi audio-video,

In accordance with the specifications below, we would like to record the conférence in video.

You'll notice that we will not stream on the internet (our streaming system is not free :-().

After assembling the video, we submit our work in the specified format for approval before brodcasting.

At your disposal for further information.

Best.

Stéphane.

Recording my speech:

Please do record the speech if you can.  We are always looking for
good recordings of my speeches, both audio and video, to put on line.

The GNU Project keeps an on-line audio and video collection of speech
recordings in audio-video.gnu.org.  If you are making an audio or
video recording of my speech, please write address@hidden  in
advance for advice on how to make a recording that is good for further
use, and subsequently to arrange to install your recording on our
site.

When you are making a recording, please *make sure* to tell me when
the tape needs to be changed.  I will pause.  Please help me help you
make the recording complete.

Recording formats:

Please make sure that your recording is not compressed with a
substantially lossy codec (unless it is an Ogg codec).  If we have to
transcode the file, starting from a lower-quality base will reduce the
quality of the result.

It is best to provide audio recordings in the original recorded sample
rate, up to 44100Hz.  Monophonic is generally adequate for speech
recordings and saves a lot of space over stereo.

For video recordings, please save the master recording, which will
probably be in miniDV format.

Please don't transcode recordings from one format to another before
sending to us, unless they have such a high bit rate that files are
impractically large.  If you do need to encode or transcode, please
convert audio to 64Kbps mono Ogg Vorbis (or you could try Ogg Speex),
and convert video to Matroska VP8 or to Ogg Theora with video quality
set to 5 or more.  If you need advice for how to do this, please ask
address@hidden

Putting my speech on the net:

If you would like to put my speech on the Internet, or distribute it
in digital form, I insist on using the formats of the free software
community: Ogg Vorbis or Ogg Speex format for audio, and Matroska VP8
(Webm) or Ogg Theora for video.  Please do not distribute my speech in
any other format.

Please do not ever broadcast or publish my speeches in formats that
are not good for free software.  I will not speak to make a recording
or broadcast that requires non-free software to be heard or viewed.
Don't use RealPlayer format, or Quicktime, or Windows Media Player
format, or a patented format such as MPEG2, MPEG4, or MP3.

This requirement is very important, because if it is not followed,
viewing my speech will require people to do the exact opposite of what
I ask them to do.  The medium's message would contradict my message.

Because this is so important, please make sure everyone who might be
involved in broadcasting the event, or who might be directly or
indirectly involved in planning such a broadcast, knows this
requirement in advance of the event.

You can get advice and help in distributing Ogg files from Mallory
Knodel<address@hidden>.

Streaming the speech:

Streaming is a kind of Internet distribution, so everything in the
previous section applies.  In particular, you must use only Ogg format
or Matroska VP8 (Webm).

If you want to stream my speech but you have not done streaming in Ogg
or VP8 before, don't leave the matter till the last minute.  By then,
it will be too late.  Please try a test session two weeks before the
speech.  That way, if you encounter any problem, there will be time to
resolve it before the speech.

If you have previously done streaming using some streaming service and
you can't immediately name the format it uses, chances are it is
unacceptable and I won't let you use it for my speech.  So please
check, two weeks in advance, what format it uses.  If you find it uses
some bad format, you will have time to arrange for ethical streaming.

You can get advice and help in Ogg streaming from Mallory Knodel
<address@hidden>.  Please ask two weeks before the event; they
can do it faster faster, but why make their work hectic unnecessarily?
Seehttps://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/live-video-streaming-support  for
more info.

--
Stéphane Igounet