autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #7125] AX_BOOST_BASE libdir improvments for Gentoo and multilib

From: Nathan Phillip Brink
Subject: [patch #7125] AX_BOOST_BASE libdir improvments for Gentoo and multilib
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 05:18:19 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I'm going to submit one patch that contains two slightly unrelated changes
(sorry).

1. The first change in the patch is an attempt at supporting linking against
a 32-bit boost on systems with both 64-bit and 32-bit copies installed. It
would take whatever the user passes to --libdir as a hint for the proper
libdir suffix. I can't think of a better way to do something like this. All I
can say is that if one is on an x86_64 machine and wants to compile 32-bit
code (see gcc's -m32 option), using $(uname -m) won't help that person (see
the existing code for deciding to use lib64 or not).

2. The second change takes into account Gentoo's apparently unique boost
library symlink installation locations. It would be great if ./configure
scripts using boost worked out of the box for a Gentoo system, but this has
not been my experience. For boost versions newer than 1.35 (IIRC), Gentoo
supports side-by-side installations of multiple versions of boost. Thus we get
file structure like the following:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Dec  6 16:22
/usr/lib64/boost-1_39/libboost_system.a -> ../libboost_system-1_39.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Dec  6 16:22
/usr/lib64/boost-1_39/libboost_system.so -> ../libboost_system-1_39.so

This minor second change eliminates the need for me to pass
--with-boost-libdir just to manually compile a boost application on Gentoo.
Note that -rpath does not need to be expanded because the SONAME of the
libraries matches the filename of the libraries which are in the default
search path.

I do not really know and cannot test if either of these changes would break
non-Gentoo systems, etc. IMO, both of these are improvements but, if anything,
please consider the second change. I will not worry if first multilib-related
change is postponed ;-).

File Attachments:

Date: Fri 19 Mar 2010 01:18:18 AM EDT  Name:
0001-Support-autodetection-of-library-locations-for-boost.patch  Size: 2kB
By: ohnobinki

<http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=19980>

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7125>

  Message sent via/by Savannah