automake

Re: Detect --disable-dependency-tracking in Makefile.am

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: Detect --disable-dependency-tracking in Makefile.am
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 05:40:51 +0000

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 at 04:45, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@inai.de> wrote:

> >I didn't explain sufficiently.  The submakes I'm talking about are my
> >doing, and I want to conditionalize them on whether
> >--enable-dependency-tracking is used.
> >
> >In for example both ntpq/Makefile.am and ntpd/Makefile.am I'm invoking:
> >
> >(cd ../libntp && make libntp.a)
>
> Yes and if you didn't do sub-makes, then the prerequisites for libntp.a
> would be known (and evaluatable to determine whether to rebuild).

Yes.  The only downside that comes to mind is it would no longer be easy to
build a particular subdir despite some other subdir that builds earlier
having an issue you don't care to tackle at the moment.

I welcome anyone who wants to give it a try.  Maintainability is more
important to us than performance, and there may be gremlins in our build
system that make it tricky, I haven't looked into it.  I have my hands full
with more pressing issues than overhauling the build system.
--
Cheers,
Dave Hart