Re: [avr-gcc-list] supply pins on atmega32

From: Reza Naima
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] supply pins on atmega32
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:38:24 -0700

Thanks for all the prompt answers. I was able to cut one of the traces I had that was bridging a VCC and GND pin -- which leaves only one VCC pin, the AVCC pin, and one GND pin connected -- and it seems to work. Well, I'm able to program it, and have it spit stuff out via the UART. I'll fix it up in the "final" version, however.

One other question regarding bypass caps -- So, as there are several VCC pins, should there be multiple bypass caps so that they are all close to the relative pins - or would it be sufficient to put them all next one one another, and just run traces between all the VCC pins? The TQFP IC is only 11mm square, so it seems like a bit of an overkill to put the bypass caps all around (if distance is the important factor).

I'm also expecting some lower frequency EMF noise -- like around 1-10khz, so I'm using a .1 and 1 uF caps. I feel like this is a bit of "black magic" as I've not found any references which correlates the capacitance of a bypass cap to the frequency range in which it is effective. I'm including a link to an image of the PCB w/ the bypass caps and xtal placement. I would love some criticism as how to improve the layout w.r.t. the caps. C1 is 1uF and C11 is 0.1uF. Ignore C5.
http://www.reza.net/misc/caps.jpg

Thanks!
Reza