Re: [avr-gcc-list] Strings getting clobbered trying to load avr-gcc out

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Strings getting clobbered trying to load avr-gcc output .hex file into avr studio 4
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:25:43 -0600

On Dec 17, 2004, at 5:18 PM, E. Weddington wrote:

James Washer wrote:

Not sure what cause is. Work-around for now is to copy .hex file from linux to windows, then open with avr studio. Too much to do right now to track this down. I'll report back later when I find root cause

Really, it would be much easier if you used the WinAVR distribution. Then you wouldn't have to mess with copying or Samba....

I prefer to edit and syntax check on FreeBSD using vim, avr-gcc and avr-libc. And manage my code with CVS. When its time to run the debugger all I have is the USB mkII JTAG which currently requires AVR Studio. May be non-mkII compatible with RS-232 but a little birdie suggests otherwise.

CVSnt is perfect for keeping my sources in sync on both hosts. CVS fixes the line endings. I use the exact same Makefile on both hosts. The Makefile is also under CVS.

GUI CVS tools (Tortoise and WinCVS, I believe) I tried fell flat on their face under Windows. I don't know why. I don't care enough to pursue it. The command line CVSnt works and thats what I'm used to anyhow.

I use PuTTY.exe on the XP Pro machine to reach the FreeBSD machine. Have the DSA public/private keys configured w/o password. CVSnt tunnels thru ssh using the PuTTY tools.

Had a bad enough time getting the mkII to speak USB. Learned tonight one of the two mkII's I had purchased is bad as the one works exactly where the other does not. Doesn't matter if I use USB or RS-232, one unit only half works. Will deal with Digi-Key and/or Atmel on Monday.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden