ayttm-devel

[Ayttm-devel] spell check, links, smileys, etc

From: Philip S Tellis
Subject: [Ayttm-devel] spell check, links, smileys, etc
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 15:56:24 +0530 (IST)

IMO, all of these can best be implemented as filters.  We use concepts
from functional programming to do it:

Text -> filter1 -> filter2 -> filter3 .... -> filtered text

Each filter will take a const char * and return a char * - a newly
malloc'ed char *.  The original text will not be modified or free'd.

We already have a filter walk system, but the filters are inconsistent
in whether they free the in text or not.  Our filter walker should be
the one that frees the in text after exiting from a filter.

Ideally I'd have liked to do it like this:

text = filter3(filter2(filter1(in_text))), but that would require us to
know all the filters in advance.

Currently spell check, linkinfy and smileys are implemented in the core.
I vote to move them out into filter modules.

All in favour start coding ;)

Philip