bontz-team

[Bontz-team] savannah, general

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: [Bontz-team] savannah, general
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:30:36 -0800 (PST)

Just wondering if any of you guys have been in to
savannah recently.  Stuff's changed, SSH keys for CVS
use ssh2 now instead of 1, you need to reset your
password, and make new keys, and all that fun stuff.

I know I'm supposed to be working on an in-game cinema
of sterdroid crashing through the wall and a secured
lab tileset.  And I know Chuck's supposed to be
working on the tile engine and/or graphics loader, and
new guy was doing something with menus.  Have any of
us kept up?  :^)  I haven't, but we ought to be able
to get back into the swing of things, eh?  I like a
no-rush project, but if some of the rest of you are in
the mood to mess around with this some more, let's see
what we can do!

Any of you familiar with the gamecube game Animal
Crossing?  It's one of those things that looks
completely out of place in today's world at first
glance, but is horribly addicting.  Over a year after
its release, Kim and I have been having another round
of being completely hooked on it.  The idea is,
there's this small town where what you do is pretty
much up to you.  You collect things that serve no
purpose other than to look or sound cool, you go
fishing, you design patterns for signs and/or
clothing, you earn money to expand your house so you
can keep more useless stuff.  Sounds like the most
boring, stupid game ever, but it's really addictive.
I'm wondering if some of the same kind of stuff might
work its way into Bontz, with the added concept of
time travel.  So if you need a break from the main
storyline and quest, you can fiddle around in
Furgason's hometown for a while, doing favors for
people and chopping down trees and maybe doing stuff
in the past that changes the present, etc.  I still
want to have the main storyline going, but having some
extra stuff like this could serve two purposes:  We
can develop most of the game's mechanics without
having to create tons of maps first, and it would just
add that extra flair to the game, some depth that
would invite people who don't have time to finish the
game or people who want to break up the
quest/battle/level-up cycle of the game to keep
playing.

Have I made this long-winded enough that you guys will
recognize me?  :^)