camelot-discuss

Re: [Camelot-discuss] address@hidden: Re: [xsvg] Re: [forum] A strawman

From: Sven Luther
Subject: Re: [Camelot-discuss] address@hidden: Re: [xsvg] Re: [forum] A strawman proposal for X.org & XFree86.org]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:21:07 +0200

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 04:22:34PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <address@hidden>:
>
> > Salut a vous tous ...
> >
> > Voici un message de la liste xsvg, et qui parle de la difference entre
> > rsvg et xsvg. Peut etre qu'il serait interessant d'utiliser libsvg ou
> > libxsvg a la place de librsvg pour ocamlsdl. Cela permettrait de ne
> > pas
> > dependre de gtk+, et en plus, il semblerait que soit svg ou xsvg
> > permette de pivoter les images SVG ou meme de leut appliquer un
> > matrice
> > quelconque au moment du rendu. J'ai pas regarder ni fait de tests
> > cependant.
>
> J'ai eu exactement la même idée car j'ai fait des recherches
> sur le net pour voir s'il y avait autrechose que librsvg, et je
> suis tombé la dessus, mais je ne suis pas allé plus loin.
>
> Je vais regarder ça.

Plus d'info ici :

----------------
On Apr 17, David Bellot wrote:
 > What is the best suited for my purpose ? Using librsvg which is
 > greatly
 > integrated with GNOME or using libsvg with hooks on gnome-canvas but
 > is
 > not actually distributed with gnome and will force my future users
 > ;-)
 > to install libsvg, etc.., etc...

I'm not sure how you define "best" or what "your purpose" is. So
you'll have to make some decisions yourself. I'll try to provide what
facts and personal plans I can -- perhaps they'll help.

At the moment, librsvg supports a larger subset of SVG functionality
than xsvg, (most notably gradients). Also, as you note, librsvg
depends on libraries that are part of GNOME.

In the future, I hope to get libxsvg supporting just as much SVG
functionality. I have no idea if GNOME will decide to adopt any of
this stuff.

Before I started whacking librsvg I discussed my plans on the librsvg
mailing list. Dom Lachowicz gave a lot of suggestions for the
rendering interface in libsvg and expressed some interest in switching
librsvg over to libsvg at some point. (I can't find pointers to the
thread since the sourceforge librsvg mailing list archive seems
non-functional at least right now).

And in the long-term, my opinion is that it would make the most sense
to get gnome-canvas to do all of its drawing via Xr/RENDER. I don't
know of anyone that has tried implementing that yet.

-Carl
Amicalement,

Sven Luther