camelot-discuss

[Camelot-discuss] address@hidden: Re: [xsvg] GNOME and xsvg]

From: Sven Luther
Subject: [Camelot-discuss] address@hidden: Re: [xsvg] GNOME and xsvg]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:42:05 +0200

----- Forwarded message from Carl Worth <address@hidden> -----

To: Carl Worth <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Cc: Sven Luther <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [xsvg] GNOME and xsvg
From: Carl Worth <address@hidden>
surfaces:01 upto:01 librsvg:01 imposes:01 uneeded:01 gtk:01 libsvg:01 api:01

On Apr 17, Sven Luther wrote:
 > As such, we have to render to SDL surfaces. Upto now, we used
 > librsvg, because we had the impression that nobody was working on
 > libxsvg, or maybe that it was not yet mature, or something
 > such. But this imposes an uneeded dependency on gtk+.

libxsvg has no dependency on GTK+. So that may help. It does depend on
Xr/Xc and friends of course.

 > So would it be best to interface to libsvg or to libxsvg ?

You'll want to use libxsvg I think. The only reason to avoid it and
use libsvg is if you have some other vector-based drawing API that you
must use, (eg. libart). But if you did that, you'd just be doing a
bunch of work to get right back where you started.

 > If i understood the Xr/Xc right, they are some kind of vectorial
 > graphics, a bit like display postscript, and would maybe not be
 > compatible with rendering to SDL surfaces, which are plain pixmaps,
 > right ?

I don't know anything about SDL surfaces.

As of what's in CVS right now, Xr can draw to any X drawable.

As of the code in my local version, (to go into CVS real soon now), Xr
can draw to user-provided image buffers as well as X drawables.

I would hope you should be able to do anything you need with those.

-Carl

--
Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                      address@hidden