chicken-hackers

Re: Override linkage in chicken-install

From: siiky
Subject: Re: Override linkage in chicken-install
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 19:16:35 +0000

Howdy o/

~~If your static application is an egg, does the `linkage` egg option do what you want?~~ NVM that, that applies only to extensions[0] (modules) of the egg itself. I may have used it incorrently in the past (:

With that new option, `-linkage static` would build only *.o, and `-linkage dynamic` would build only *.so?

Just asking, because if CHICKEN is built with STATICBUILD=1 I think shared objects are useless. Maybe it's useful in some scenarios to build shared objects for another CHICKEN? Or maybe it isn't, dunno! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it doesn't make sense to build shared objects in that case, then `-static` (or similar) would be enough..?

[0]: https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Egg%20specification%20format#linkage

(sorry for the dupe gahr!)