Re: [Chicken-users] CVS update

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CVS update
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:14:16 -0600

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:38:18PM +0100, felix wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The current CVS version has been updated:
> - bugfixes
> - support for precompiled regexps (`regexp' and `regexp?')
> - most of the string-stuff from the extras unit has been nuked

I guess I should add something here as well...

I've written a pretty comprehensive unit testing facility
(test-infrastructure.scm) for chicken and it is detailed in the
manual(needs some more examples, but there is enough there to see how it
works). Right now, it is only in R5RS macros, so you need -hygienic to be
able to use it, but Felix is very kind and is going to perform a lowlevel
macro port of what I've done. Oddly enough, I don't have much experience
with low level macros so I don't think I would be able to do the scoping
issues right with my current understanding of them. I appreciate his help!

For those of you who say why we don't use SchemeUnit, I must confess
I wrote my code before I knew about SchemeUnit. However, my code is
99% R5RS compatible and easily portable between any R5RS compliant
system(and in fact, that is a distinct goal for this code, so don't go
polluting it with chicken specific things if you add stuff to the testing
infrastructure code, or if you do, make it very clear that it is specific
to chicken). Also, I couldn't find much docs at all for SchemeUnit,
so I made sure the manual had ample descriptions of everything for the
infrastructure I wrote.

Also, I've begun writing a test suite for Chicken itself, found in the
testsuites directory. I have large section of the R5RS handbook finished,
but a lot still yet to do. When I finish that, I was planning on just
knocking off each exported API or SRFI that chicken supports until the
entire functionality of chicken has been tested one way or another.
Of course, others are welcome to write test suites for various SRFIs or
APIs as doing all of them is a chunk of work for a single person. :)

Thank you.

-pete