[Chicken-users] Re: News from the Barnyard

From: Martin Gasbichler
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: News from the Barnyard
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:27:56 +0200

Felix Winkelmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, everybody!
>
> There is a (very simple) SMTP library available at
> http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/smtp.html
>
> I have FTP and POP3 extensions nearly ready and they
> will be available in a few days (hopefully).
>
> I'm currently working on a (simple - hm... I'm using the
> word like an apology... ;-) web-server, that uses the
> HTTP extension. The performance is so-so, about twice as
> fast as the SUnet server (considering raw requests-per-second)
> but still no match for the PLT server.

I'm almost sure what you are comparing here is not the speed of the
servers but the speed of the servers running on top of different
Scheme implementations. Did you consider porting one of the existing
web servers to chicken? The same applies to your FTP and POP3
libraries. Both SUnet and PLT come with a huge bunch of networking
libraries: why is it more attractive to start from scratch instead of
trying to port existing code and benefit from the work and design
choices already made?

> Anyway, it works and is quite easy to use.

This certainly applies to the existing servers as well. In addition
both come with with features like s{e,u}rflets and XML as s-expressions
that ease web programming very much.

--
Martin