Re: [Chicken-users] opengl egg on OSX

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] opengl egg on OSX
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:42:39 +0100

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:45:53 -0500, Pierre-Alexandre Fournier
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install the opengl egg on Mac OSX, but I have a little
> problem.
>
> First, I had to change in glut.scm:
> #include "GL/glut.h"
> for
> #include "GLUT/glut.h"
> according to recommandations there:
> http://www.edenwaith.com/products/pige/compiling/osx.php

Hm. Perhaps we should get rid of the directory completely
and try some .setup script hacking to figure out the right path.

> Then, ld says that it doesn't find -lblas:

(you mean -lglut here, probably?)

> ld: can't locate file for: -lglut
>
> Someone has an idea?

Where's your libglut.so* ?

Probably you need another "-L -L..." in the csc invocation to
set the correct linker path.

> I'm a GNU/Linux user, but I want to prove a friend that Chicken is
> portable on Mac and Windoze, that's why I'm posting about cygwin and
> OSX. Chicken works fine but I have trouble installing some eggs on OSX
> (like bb and opengl) and any eggs on Win.

The eggs are nearly all developed on Linux and naturally there are
numerous annoying differences between the platforms to make
it hard to find a portable solution. Cygwin's handling of creating DLLs
is completely different again, which makes it impossible to build
eggs on the platform. The chicken-setup machinery doesn't try to
solve all those problems, just to provide a bare minimum to download
an extension, run some commands and install the extension.
The autotools provide the necessary stuff to handle all the portabiity
issues for chicken itself, but the handling of extensions is (and will
probably stay for a while) completely platform specific.
So currently the only solution is to hack the .setup script or compile
an extension by hand.
The manual entry about chicken-setup being supported with cygwin
is plain wrong, I'll fix that.