Re: [Chicken-users] libffi

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] libffi
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:05:16 +0100

felix winkelmann <address@hidden> writes:

>> - Assuming this is stable, will Chicken end up incorporating libffi and
>>   using this system by default on platforms that support it?  It looks
>>   like libffi is fairly small and the license is very permissive.  (Is
>>   it still under development / being ported to more platforms?)
>
> Well, adding libffi to the Chicken distribution would probably be
> most user-friendly, even though I don't like adding third party
> libraries too much. I'm also not sure about the maturity of libffi
> (on the other hand it seems to work perfectly on x86, but that's
> the only platform I have access to).
>
> The official libffi version is rather old, but a newer version is
> here:
>
> http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/libffi-new.tgz
>
> (Stolen fom Andreas Rottmann's g-wrap)

Ah, cool you found it. I was just about to point you to my archive, so
you don't have to go through the process of lifting it out of gcc
yourself, and we can perhaps maintain that "split out" version
collaborativly.

> IIRC, this new version is also supposed to work on Darwin (?)
> (Andreas, perhaps you know more about this?)

No, sorry. I'm ATM busy with University, but after that I'm going to
look at several issues G-Wrap has on non-x86 (see [0], starting with
the 1.9.3-2 logs). There is the possibility that libffi has to do with
it, but at least on ia64, it seems to be Guile's fault.

[0] http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=g-wrap

> I'm not sure now how to integrate it. For the time being it has
> to be downloaded and installed separately.

Does darcs have something like Arch configs[1]? I use these to include
libffi into the G-Wrap tarball.

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/tutorial/multi-tree-projects.html#Multi-tree_Projects_and_Configuration_Management

Cheers, Rotty