Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 03:46:46 -0700

Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:

Ashley Bone wrote:
The most common settings are handled by scons (for instance, things like
-fPIC for gcc or /MD for msvc).
Special flags like optimizations and so forth have to be explicitly
added, but I think that's true of any tool.

The crucial question is going to be libtool-type support. How well do
any of these tools cope with building different styles of shared
library/DLL?

CMake has built some pretty huge software systems like the Visualization Toolkit http://www.vtk.org/ so I don't see this as a big deal. I'm more worried about the quality of the MinGW support. I heard "somewhere in passing" that CMake can handle MinGW now, but the CMake webpage and the docs still don't explicitly mention it. So that makes me worry that it's not a well-exercised target (gee, much like Chicken and so many other open source projects.)

Still, I cannot worry unduly. I've already made the decision that I will attempt CMake. But, I have to go get a job or get tossed out of my apartment, so I can't put much effort into this right now. If it's easy, then suddenly I'll say Hey Presto. If it's hard, either because of CMake or the Chicken architecture itself, then I probably won't get it done. Like, if I had to bang on something for a month to get it to work, I wouldn't bother. I'd just concentrate on other projects of mine that are easier to make progress on.

If anyone wants to team up with me to try to bang out a CMake, that would be welcome. More likely to stay focused that way.

In any event, realistically it's gonna be CMake or SCons. I doubt anyone believes that Ant ant-contrib CC Task is going to be pleasant. The only reason I brought it up is because I'm doing Eclipse stuff. Anyways, if the SCons crowd wants to get together and bang something out, and it's easy to do, then by all means go for it. But that's not the road I will travel for now. I believe CMake is the ticket, as it's meant to replace GNU Autotools and be cross-platform. It doesn't add a language dependency, so if all else is equal between CMake and SCons, that's a win.

It's all going to be about actually attempting a build, since it seems none of us really have the experience at these tools to know what they can handle.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
   (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
           '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))