Re: [Chicken-users] CMake testing

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake testing
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:47:29 -0700

Graham Fawcett wrote:

Running `cmake -G "NMake Makefiles"` didn't Just Work. I used
cmakesetup.exe, which is a GUI for writing a configuration cache.
Before running this, I had to add the MSVC toolchain to my PATH. I
don't normally have them on PATH; and without them, cmakesetup
wouldn't work properly. IOW, you cannot just run cmakesetup from the
Start..Programs menu unless you have your tools on the PATH. Note that
`cmake -G "NMake Makefiles"` did not work even when my tools were on
the path.
I used the Chicken 2.2 tarball as a guinea pig, just adding CMakeLists.txt to it and no other actions. When I use my fully licensed retail version of VC++ 7.1, 'cmake -G "NMake Makefiles"' generates its output without a hitch. When I use the free VC++ Toolkit, I get a bunch of errors. So, the problem is surely that the retail compiler has all sorts of tools and paths configured properly, and the free version doesn't. Probably there is more work to get a valid build environment going with the free version. I did run the appropriate vcvars32.bat with the free version, but that isn't enough to solve the problem. I bet I don't have the Platform SDK set up properly to work with the free version; for instance, I don't see any includes or paths for it in the envioronment. Also beware of the 'csi' shadowing gotcha, as the Platform SDK has its own csi.exe apparently.

After that, cmakesetup ran fine. I had to specify
EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH and LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH; I also built the
binaries in the source directory. Trying to specify a different output
directory seemed to cause problems; it looked like the cache was
written to the build directory rather than the source directory when I
tried this.
I haven't tried this yet. I haven't gone up the learning curve of cmake's theory of operation. Sorry I'm just way too tired from the physically demanding work of signature gathering. Yes I am lame. I'm only good at getting people interested in better build systems. :-) I'll make more stabs as time and energy allow.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
   (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
           '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))