[Chicken-users] README.darcs bootstrap claim probably false

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] README.darcs bootstrap claim probably false
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:12:20 -0700

README.darcs says at the very beginning:

0. You will need:

   * A system Chicken has been ported to. See the homepage for details.
     To bootstrap the system Chicken 2.315 or newer is needed.

I bet this is false. I'm building on CMake using a two-stage bootstrap, and plain Chicken 2.3 works just fine. Now granted, I don't test the canonical Darcs bootstrap, only my own CMake bootstrap. Maybe my build can do something that yours can't, ha ha ha ha ha! My secret sauce is I don't bother with .exports when generating my bootstrap compiler. Only the final compiler needs .exports. Granted further, I haven't done much testing of the results, so maybe they'll keel over and die. But anyways, my suspicion is that requiring 2.315 is excessively conservative.

If only 2.3 is required, I'd like to see that statement made in README.darcs. I'm redrafting my INSTALL-CMake.txt docs and if we can say the same thing, we should say the same thing. Originally I also thought I was going to refer to the README.darcs instructions, but now I realize it's got lotsa stuff that CMake doesn't care about. So I'll write up my own instructions on how to obtain Darcs and so forth.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every