Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Documentation

From: Harri Haataja
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Documentation
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 16:22:19 +0300

On 29/05/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
Dan wrote:
> Just a small observation -- the propensity for long,
> complicated URL's isn't a win. Typing the full
> www.call/cc.org is a pain;

> Maybe it's just me, but I'd love shorter, memorable
> URL's.

I do too, but the value isn't in personal use.  It's in chalkboards,
overhead projectors, and casual conversations, when you're trying to get
something to stick in a crowd's mind.  Actually
"call-with-current-continuation.org" is rather easy for a Functional
Programmer to remember... but most people don't know what FP is.

It does stick, indeed. Of course a few more remaining possibilities
are navigating to it via a few hops from some easy to remember wiki
(like http://community.schemewiki.org/ though that's not the shortest
name either), google, your homepage or profile somewhere etc, have a
personal wiki (more common these days, see http://pbwiki.com/ or use a
service like tinyurl to create some nice TLA-length alias :)

--
it's  a matter of balance, i find.  if you write the code without thinking
through the design you are doomed, except for very trivial tasks.  if you think