[Chicken-users] symbol->string

From: Sven . Hartrumpf
Subject: [Chicken-users] symbol->string
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:07:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all.

Here is an excerpt from a chicken-profile for one of my programs:

procedure                                  calls   seconds   average  percent
symbol-compare                         1058128414  3467.563     0.277  13.7471

I was surprised by the high percentage for symbol-compare
which I don't see with other Schemes:

(define symbol-compare (lambda (a b)
  (string-compare (symbol->string a) (symbol->string b))))

(define string-compare string-compare3) ; for example

I looked at the definition of symbol->string and found out
that it is not a constant operation (like returning some pointer)
but constructs a string.
Does anyone have a more efficient comparison of symbols implemented?

BTW: the average above is wrong
(because of format-real in chicken-profile.scm).

Greetings
Sven