Re: [Chicken-users] reinstall all eggs

From: Andre Kuehne
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] reinstall all eggs
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:17:44 +0200

Alex Shinn wrote:
On 4/19/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
On 4/19/07, Andre Kuehne <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I was wondering if it's appropriate/saver to reinstall all eggs after a chicken upgrade > and if there is an easy way to do this, so that i don't have to manually run chicken-setup
> for every installed egg.
>
> What about two additional options for chicken-setup:
>
>    1) reinstall all eggs
>    2) reinstall all eggs with available upgrades
>
> Would these be useful or just waste?

Useful. I don't know when I get around implementing this, but I'll
write a trac ticket anyway.

I've been using the following utilities.

To upgrade all eggs with available updates:

# cd TEMP_DIRECTORY &&\
  rm -rf *.egg *.egg-dir &&\
  chicken-setup -d `chicken-setup -C | cut -d" " -f 1`

Thanks for the hint. After playing with variations of this for a while, i
noticed
that for reinstalling all eggs you would want a way to continue installation
from
where it stopped after an error occured, without having to reinstall packages
multiple times.

instead of a chicken-setup-option to reinstall all eggs, it would
probably be more useful to have an option to output the names of all installed
eggs.

Currently "chicken-setup -l" gives you all module-names like array-lib-ec , array-lib-hof, etc., so this is nothing you can easily pass back to chicken-setup.

A reinstall of all eggs could then be done like this:

1) get the list of all installed eggs
2) write the list to a file
3) remove/uninstall all installed eggs
4) install all missing eggs from the list

So in case of an error, repeating step 4) would always do the right.
Some possible options for chicken-setup to support this:

* output the names of all installed eggs
* update:
  - if egg-names are supplied (on the commandline):
    - install missing eggs
    - update all given eggs with available updates
  - otherwise update all installed eggs with available updates

Best Wishes
Andre Kuehne