Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 06:55:32 +0300

  I second Mario, that is really an amazing idea; filesystems
implemented in high-level languages have been a long-time fascination
of mine. Would it be possible for you to release the libfuse Chicken
wrapper as a standalone egg?

Thanks for the kind words, Mario and Ivan.

It would be possible, though as Mario's case shows there are compatibility problems between various Linux distros (which could quickly become a support nightmare). Also, I think I'd have to downgrade to the lowest Fuse API version commonly in use, which is less than ideal.

For the moment I think it's best to copy the sources if you want to write a new file system. If you don't touch the fusehi-related sources, you'll be able to simply replace them when there are updates. And if you do touch them, send a patch along so I can merge your changes in :)

Cheers,
Dan