Re: [Chicken-users] Cairo binding

From: Luke McCarthy
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cairo binding
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:25:22 +0000

On Monday 10 March 2008 20:07:45 you wrote:
> On 3/9/08, Luke McCarthy <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I am using the Cairo egg, but it's incomplete so I have been adding new
> > procedures as I need them for my project. Is anyone working on this at
> > the moment? I am willing on bringing it up to date and completing the API
> > support. Where should I submit a patch?
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm not aware of anybody working on such a thing.
> You can post patches here,no problem - someone
> (like me) will pick it up.
>

> cheers,
> felix

Ok, cool. I'll probably have something ready in a week or two.

A question for the list...

In the current Cairo egg resources like the cairo context must be
explicitly destroyed (with cairo-destroy). Do you think it's a good idea to
put these under control of the garbage collector by setting a finalizer to
automatically free the resources? Possibly we could leave both options
available, removing the finalizer if the resource is explicitly destroyed. We
could also have a macro like (with-cairo-context name surface . body)

Another question - how do you remove a finalizer? I suppose
  (set-finalizer! obj (lambda (x) (void)))
might work, assuming it overrides the old one. Is there a better way?

Luke McCarthy