Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:50:46 -0700

On Mar 15, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Felix Winkelmann wrote:

<snip>

When Felix says it would incur tremendous breakage now, I
believe he's referring to the fact that people who are
currently using utf8 are all writing:

(use utf8)
(import utf8)

and now they'll have to remove the import line from their
existing code.  Since we've just gone 3.0, now seems like
the ideal time to induce such breakage though.

Alex, what happens if I pass string operators as first
class values? These don't get inlined. What happens now?

Is this a "char-string" issue or a "byte-string" issue? When the source "...string..." is a string of ASCII non-nul char then there should be no problem w/ the utf8 egg overriding the string operators. The problem comes when the source "..." is actually a "byte-string".

I am uncomfortable with that particular Chicken idiom.

How about moving the utf8 egg's "byte-string-srfi-13.scm" & "byte- string.scm" into the core? Then when a "byte-string" use is intended everyone will know.