[Chicken-users] http egg and Connection: close header

From: Drew Hess
Subject: [Chicken-users] http egg and Connection: close header
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:44:10 -0800

I mentioned that I had one more patch in the pipeline, but I haven't
written it yet. I'll just describe the issue and then Peter, you can fix
it if you like, or give me a bit longer and I'll send something.

RFC 2616 says in Section 8.1.2 about persistent connections:

 Persistent connections provide a mechanism by which a client and a
 server can signal the close of a TCP connection. This signaling takes
 place using the Connection header field (section 14.10). Once a close
 has been signaled, the client MUST NOT send any more requests on that
 connection.

So I think that http-client should look for ("Connection" . "close") in
the client's request headers and close the connection explicitly upon
finishing the request. It doesn't do that right now. If the server
doesn't respond with a "close" of its own, http:send-request will add
the connection to the pool.

It's not exactly a trivial change to make because the client request
headers aren't in scope when http:send-request decides what to do with
the connection, but it shouldn't be too bad to fix.

thanks again!