Re: [Chicken-users] scrutiny

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] scrutiny
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:33:10 +0100

On 29 May 2009, at 3:18 pm, felix winkelmann wrote:

When I write something from scratch, I usually go through a phase
of fixing typos and trivial errors (forgetting an pass an argument,
etc.),
and to help out with this tedious work, the scrutiny feature was
implemented.
Note that this is not an optimization, it is just for checking code
correctness.

YES. I find this, too. When writing Scheme I get loads of trivial
errors up-front: usually, not enough closing parens (yeah, yeah, I
know, I should use emacs), but then typos and missing arguments, which
I have to find through running unit tests to check all my code paths -
once that rush of bugs is past, I seem to get something in the order
of one actual logic error per hundred lines - while it's more like ten
for C!

So something that can statically detect some of the trivial errors is
"AAAA++++ WOULD COMPILE AGAIN!!!1!"! Well done :-)

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
Work: http://www.snell-systems.co.uk/