[Chicken-users] Compiling files that 'import' eggs that aren't installed

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: [Chicken-users] Compiling files that 'import' eggs that aren't installed?
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 15:16:39 +0200

How does one compile a file that requires an extension which is not
currently installed?  I couldn't find the answer looking at The
Chicken Manual.  Obviously, the file being compiled does not depend on
macros from the module, it just depends on it at runtime.

In Chicken 3 this was not an issue.  In Chicken 4, I'm getting:

> Syntax error (import): cannot import from undefined module

I know one can do something like:

  (load (string-append (repository-path) module-name ".so"))

But I'm thinking about something cleaner than that (that, because it
uses the normal code that loads eggs at runtime, will, for instance,
not load the module if it had already been loaded by another
extension).

This is a problem for me because (1) I have files that want to execute
different codepaths depending on which eggs are available (loading
those that are) and (2) I have mutually dependent eggs (which now I
can't install in Chicken 4).

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help!

Alejo.