Re: static linking (Re: [Chicken-users] wish-list

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: static linking (Re: [Chicken-users] wish-list
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 09:45:10 -0700

On Oct 27, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Daishi Kato wrote:

At Wed, 27 Oct 2010 03:12:08 -0400 (EDT),
Felix wrote:

<snip>

You can always link statically. Most eggs can be statically linked
(those that don't can in most cases be converted). Do you have a specific
example?

felix, are you sure most eggs can be statically linked?
I assume it means chicken-install produces *.o files, correct?

Not to answer for him but I suspect Felix meant that the extensions "could" be linked statically. That there is nothing in their design & implementation preventing such a process.

For myself I rarely include the necessary steps in the .setup since I do not use static builds & I do not want to test them. However, I will add support as requested. Other maintainers would probably do the same. (Or someone could volunteer ;-)

I have the following so installed (I think I'm using all of them),
and only 3 have objects: numbers-static.o openssl-static.o sendfile- static.o.

abnf-charlist.so abnf-consumers.so abnf.so base64.so cgi-handler.so condition-utils.so datatype.so defstruct.so environments.so hash- let.so http-client.so iconv.so input-classes.so input-parse.so intarweb.so internet-message.so iset.so json.so lexgen.so locale- builtin.so locale-categories.so locale-components.so locale- current.so locale-posix.so locale-timezone.so locale.so lookup-table- synch.so lookup-table-unsafe-synch.so lookup-table-unsafe.so lookup- table.so mailbox.so matchable.so md5.so message-digest-port.so message-digest.so mime.so miscmacros.so moremacros.so numbers.so numeric-macros.so openssl.so packrat.so record-variants.so sendfile.so setup-api.so setup-download.so simple-directory- handler.so smtp.so spiffy-cookies.so spiffy.so srfi-29.so srfi-4- checks.so srfi-4-errors.so ssax.so ssp-handler.so sxml-transforms.so sxpath-lolevel.so sxpath.so synch.so txpath.so type-checks.so type- errors.so typeclass.so unicode-char-sets.so uri-common.so uri- generic.so utf8-case-map.so utf8-lolevel.so utf8-srfi-13.so utf8- srfi-14.so utf8.so variable-item.so web-scheme-handler.so

I wish I could link them statically.

Best,
Daishi