Re: [Chicken-users] Check SRFI 19 localized strings

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Check SRFI 19 localized strings
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 08:35:57 -0700

On Nov 4, 2010, at 3:20 AM, Moritz Heidkamp wrote:

Hi Kon,

while we're at it, I figured I could contribute a German locale
file.

Thank you. I was going to specifically ask for one since we have a number of German speaking users.

Note that there is no AM/PM in Germany (don't know about other
Germanophone countries but I think they don't have it either). I just
left them in so I don't break anything but feel free to correct it, of
course :-)

Actually removing the AM/PM would not stop a caller from using them, the system would just substitute the print form of the key if a value is not found. But no one formatting dates for a German locale would do such a thing.

I also used the timezone name (i.e. ~Z) instead of its offset
(~z as the en locale does).

Ok. I will need to check how it used though.

What about different countries by the way? There is at least one
difference in Austrian month names I am aware of. Does SRFI-19 consider
that?

It can. By subclassing as an Austrian German, so there would be an `at' directory under the `de' one. So the POSIX locale might be `de_AT.UTF-8`

Note that there is a Brazilian Portuguese (pt/br) locale.

Moritz

<srfi-19-de>

Best Wishes,
Kon