[Chicken-users] Problem with threads

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini
Subject: [Chicken-users] Problem with threads
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:10:28 -0200

Hello,

I'm using Chicken from git/master branch (commit
ddaacdfdb11a0a1c0d1e6363b1af3af78746575c).

I recently noticed a change in the behavior of Chicken's
scheduler. See this program:

(use srfi-18)

(define looping-thread
  (let ((loop (lambda () (do ((i 0 (add1 i)))
                        (#f)
                      (print ':: i)))))
    (thread-start! (make-thread loop))))

This does not start the thread on my system (Linux/AMD64), not
even after several seconds, until I did (thread-join! looping-thread).

It also seems to run when I change its quantum:

(thread-quantum-set! looping-thread 10)

But it seems to run for a while only, and then sleeps undefinetly
again.

I udnerstand that Chicken implements SRFI-18 and not SRFI-21,
but isn't there any way to force the scheduler to actually make
one thread start working without pausing indefinetly like that,
other than using thread-join!?

I'm asking becuase I have a didactic implementation of thread pools,
but after creating N threads in a pool, I can't
call thread-join! (because al those threads loop forever, and
I'd like to send tasks from the REPL -- and the REPL would not be
available anymore if I issued thread-join! there).

Also, I believe I've found a little bug. When I force a deadlock:

(define a (make-mutex))
(mutex-lock! a)
(mutex-lock! a)

I get this error:

Error: bad argument count - received 1 but expected 0: #<procedure (##sys#halt)>

    Call history:

    <syntax>      (mutex-lock! a)
    <eval>    (mutex-lock! a)   <--

Looks like this is because scheduler.scm uses (##sys#halt "deadlock")
at line 166, but ##sys#halt has zero arity (if I understand correctly it's
defined in line 216 of library.scm).

Thanks,
J.