Re: [Chicken-users] utf8 and string-ref performance

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] utf8 and string-ref performance
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:27:11 -0700

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:17:24PM +0100, Peter Bex wrote:
> > I'm probably confused or didn't fully
> > understand the original problem.
>
> Me too.  I'll stop talking for Alan and let him answer your questions
> instead ;)

I tested compiling the Lojban morphology file with and without
utf8 enabled.  It takes 5 seconds on my machine to parse the file
and return the parser generator without utf8 enabled, and 20
seconds to perform the same operation with utf8 enabled.  So I
definitely have a problem to fix, re: the original question in
this thread.

I also added a test case for utf8 (I haven't checked it in yet)
that does not work with utf8 enabled or disabled.  I suspect I'm
doing something chancy in my code, but I haven't sat down to figure
out what is going on.  I've put that issue on my backlog, and have
disabled utf8 until I get my test case working.

I won't have much more to contribute to the conversation until I
get my utf8 test case passing.

This is the first I've heard of locatives, so I'm likely to have
more questions than answers.  ;-)

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi