Re: [Chicken-users] Re: compiling jbogenturfa'i .scm => .c takes 2.5 hou

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: compiling jbogenturfa'i .scm => .c takes 2.5 hours
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:55:27 -0700

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 04:05:01PM +0100, Felix wrote:
> From: Alan Post <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: compiling jbogenturfa'i .scm => .c takes 2.5
> hours
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:16:54 -0700
>

> > I would love to better understand what it is I'm doing and why it is
> > causing a problem.  I'm not sure how to fix my code, as I don't
> > quite get why what I'm doing is triggering the compiler to generate
> > such large files.
>
> Alan, if you use "-debug 2", the compiler will output the result of
> the macro-expansion, which may be helpful in looking at the code
> your macros generate. Somewhere excessive code is generated, which
> may be less costly in the interpreter due to sharing of subexpressions.

I've rerun the build with "-debug 2", and it sent a lot of output to
the terminal.  The build hasn't finished running yet, but the
terminal output has stopped.  Here is the file so far, which I think
is what you were asking for.  If this file is too much, I'll run the
same command on a smaller portion of the grammar (say just the
morphology file) or on a toy grammar.  It should still be showing
the problem, just perhaps not at the scale I see on the full Lojban
grammar.

Looking at this, can you point me in the right direction? (172K):

  http://lodockikumazvati.org/download/jbogenturfahi.build.log.bz2

I traced statement45, which is behaving roughly like I would expect,
with it being set to undefined, used in several lambda expressions,
and then defined inside the letrec.  The same story with sumti75.
Is it the excessive number of ##core#lambda expressions that is causing
my problem?  If that isn't the right track, nothing here is catching
my eye and so I begin to expect something post-macro expansion.

Thank you,

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi