[Chicken-users] Re: sqlite3 egg still failing in experimental branch

From: Alan Post
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: sqlite3 egg still failing in experimental branch
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:32:07 -0700

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 05:21:06PM +0100, Thomas Chust wrote:
> 2011/1/14 .alyn.post. <address@hidden>:
> > [...]
> > The sqlite3 is still failing to compile in the experimental branch:
> > [...]
> > Will you apply the patches I sent you to the sqlite3 egg?
> > [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> yes, I know. I will apply the patch eventually but I have to / want to
> disable the fixnum arithmetic declaration at the same time and insert
> calls to fixnum specific procedures where appropriate.
>
> Now, if I make these modifications I want to do it carefully,
> especially changing all the arithmetic calls. But I simply haven't
> gotten around to installing the experimental CHICKEN branch (usually I
> only update to snapshot releases and I very much dislike git ...)  and
> to updating the SQLite3 egg.
>
> > [...]
> > I was able to modify genturfa'i to use those procedures rather than
> > declaring fixnum.  Would you like a new patch that uses this same
> > approach in sqlite3?  Disabling the fixnum declare but replacing you
> > maths operations with fixnum versions?
> > [...]
>
> If you took the time to do that, I would be glad to accept an improved
> patch :-)

I believe the attached patch should do it.  I withdraw the original
miliseconds deprecation patch (but retain the noop/void patch) and
replace it with this one.

All arithmetic operations are fixnum except the delay call, which is
done with floating point arithmetic.

> > [...]
> > What do you need to get the sqlite3 egg updated to compile against
> > the experimental branch?
> > [...]
>
> Hmm, maybe a reduction of Earth rotation speed to prolonge my spare
> time hours would be good? Or maybe some genetic modification to reduce
> the necessary amount of sleep?

I'd like to pose a question to the list about this issue, because it
results from the way development is done in Chicken Scheme and
perhaps someone has insight into the issue.

I'm suffering from priority inversion on this issue:  jbogenturfa'i
requires the experimental branch to run[1][2], while one of it's
dependencies, sqlite3, won't run on the experimental branch.[3]

The fix to sqlite3 is easy, and I've provided patches.  There isn't
any reason Thomas' priorities should be mine, however, and in this
case they aren't.

My options seem to be to convince Thomas that he should be running
at a higher priorty or ask Mario for a sqlite3-experimental egg in
the repository and fork sqlite3.  I don't consider a fork a good
idea, but if I had to fix this issue today, I can't think of a
better one either.  It is easier to accomplish that either of
Thomas' above requests.  :-)

How has this situation been handled in the past?  Can someone sugest
a solution that doesn't require Thomas to raise his scheduling
priority but allows me to have a sqlite3 that compiles in experimental?

I'm fortunate to be in a position where this issue isn't urgent--I'm
the only one running jbogenturfa'i and I can keep my patches in my
local repository.  I may not always be in such a fortunate position.

Thoughts?

-Alan

1:
http://tests.call-cc.org/2011/01/14/salmonella-report/tests/jbogenturfahi.html