Re: [Chicken-users] Hello World execution time

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Hello World execution time
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:39:14 +0100

Daniel,
I know absolutely nothing of Haskell, so it took me a whole 20 minutes
to download it, discover the syntax for a hello world program, compile
it, and run it. I put an -O2 on the ghc commandline and stripped the
executable, but that's it.

This benchmark purposefully measures the startup overhead of the
runtime system. It's hot-start, meaning that everything is already in
the disk cache (in ram). It doesn't measure at all the size of the
executable, nor the performance of math algorithms, i/o, threads, gc,
or anything else. All of these things would give much different
results.

I'd be particularly interested in seeing a benchmark of Chicken's gc
vs. the other languages mentioned above (Python, Mono, Java) but I'm
not knowledgeable enough to write one. I'm still unsure of how
Chicken's gc actually works. All I could gather is that there's some
kind of dodgy magic going on with stack frames ;-)

Tobia