[Chicken-users] [ANN] Allegro Egg

From: Daniel Leslie
Subject: [Chicken-users] [ANN] Allegro Egg
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:01:21 -0700

I've finished up the bindings for the Allegro egg. Or, at least, I believe I have 99% API coverage and I've tested most of it. Native dialog hooks still remain to be implemented.

Documentation is present here:
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/allegro

It's BSD3 licensed, in a similar manner to the base library.

What is Allegro?

Allegro has been around since the days of the Amiga, and was one of the first "open-source" game development libraries widely available. Those of us who grew up with DOS machines in the 90s may remember using it with DJGPP.

Recently Allegro underwent a complete rewrite, alowing the developers to switch from the original giftware license to one that allowed for commercial redistribution of derivative works without requiring the redistribution of code. Likewise, it allowed them to greatly streamline the API and focus on modernization and efficiency.

I noticed that the new API lent itself fairly well to a scheme programming style, and a few months of bus-trip programming later this Egg was born.

Anyhow, I welcome bug fixes, github pull requests, and documentation updates; provided contributors are willing to stick with the distribution license I have chosen.

Thanks for Chicken!
-Dan Leslie