Re: [Chicken-users] Error with clang/FreeBSD

From: jrapdx0
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Error with clang/FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:07:10 -0800

> ### FROM: John Cowan <address@hidden>
> ### ON: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:43:28 -0500
>
> address@hidden scripsit:
>
> > I wasn't familiar with the '-z' option, and I gleaned it's used by the
> > gnu linker. Since this option is invoked only with "-deploy" in the
> > test suite, I'm not really sure of its purpose. It may be needed by
> > gcc, but '-z origin' was indigestible by clang.
>
> In the RPATH, which is set by the -R switch, the literal string "$ORIGIN"
> represents the directory that the executable file was run from. At least
> this is so on Linux and Solaris. But on FreeBSD, it is interpreted
> as a literal directory name unless the "-z origin" switch was passed
> to the linker. A bug in clang prevents it from handling the -R and
> "-z origin" switches at the same time.

Thanks for the information. That clears up the mystery, but leaves in question whether a deployed application will work as intended if compiled with clang under FreeBSD. While the test succeeded, behavior in real-world use might be different. Don't know if this clang bug has otherwise caused problems in FreeBSD, but it will be interesting to see what's been reported.

J. Altfas