[Chicken-users] New 4.11 install. "make" FAILS.

From: Terry Phelps
Subject: [Chicken-users] New 4.11 install. "make" FAILS.
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:46:18 -0400

I downloaded the 4.11.0 tarball, edited config.make to set PLATFORM and PREFIX, and typed "make" on an ordinary RHEL 7 Linux box.

It did a bunch of gcc compiles, and failed with this:

chicken  build-version.scm -optimize-level 2 -include-path . -include-path ./ -inline -ignore-repository -feature chicken-bootstrap -no-warnings -specialize -types ./types.db   -explicit-use -no-trace -output-file build-version.c
make: chicken: Command not found
make: *** [build-version.c] Error 127

There is indeed no 'chicken' on my path, or anywhere in the installation tree where I untarred it. The README file says that building from 'git' requires 'chicken' already installed on the build machine, but it says nothing about needing one when I install from a tarball.

HELP!