Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 18:48:57 +0100

Hi Lassi,

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:55:04 +0200 Lassi Kortela <lassi@lassi.io> wrote:

>> Isn't that page similar to https://eggs.call-cc.org/4/ and
>> https://eggs.call-cc.org/5/ in terms of content?
>
> It collects both Chicken 4 and Chicken 5 versions of the information
> on the same page, which is its main point.
>
>> Regarding to the link to the eggs-[45]-latest repos, I think that can be
>> a bit misleading to people trying to find out the repository of eggs.
>> Those repositories are merely a representation of the egg caches in git
>> format -- they are NOT the canonical repositories of eggs.  The
>> canonical repositories should be linked from the egg documentation.
>
> Good point. Could link to the origin repos instead.
>
>> Regarding versions being up to date or not, the intent of that
>> information is not clear to me (it's very probable that I'm just missing
>> something).
>
> The page is geared toward egg authors and maintainers, not for people
> who just want to use an egg. That's why there's so much detail, and is
> probably the main cause of confusion.

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder if I'm missing the actual meessage that page is trying to
convey.  Is it about showing CHICKEN 4 eggs that are "missing" in
CHICKEN 5 or vice-versa?

>> Some aspects that may be relevant when comparing egg
>> versions between CHICKEN 4 and 5:
>>
>> * Some egg authors have deliberately stopped updating eggs for CHICKEN 4
>>    once they got ported to CHICKEN 5.
>>
>> * Some egg authors have deliberately decided not to port some eggs from
>>    CHICKEN 4 to CHICKEN 5.
>>
>> * Most people who are creating new eggs are not making them available
>>    for CHICKEN 4.
>
> Sure. FWIW, some C4-only eggs have been ported to C5 upon request.

Indeed.

>> * Some extensions that are eggs in CHICKEN 5 are core units in CHICKEN 4.
>
> This would be useful to indicate somehow.

Not sure if it does the trick, but those are documented here:
https://wiki.call-cc.org/porting-c4-to-c5#begin-with-the-easy-part-replacing-module-imports

All the best.
Mario
--