cons-discuss

Re: System includes

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: System includes
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:00:50 -0600 (CST)

> I've been trying cons again (the latest version of ActivePerl
> contains Digest::MD5 by default, so I can finally use cons on
> Windows at work) and I hit trouble: for the purpose of
> dependency analysis, cons doesn't consider "system" includes
> (i.e. directives with angle brackets, of the form
> #include <file.H>
> ). I can't even say if the behavior is intended - docs don't
> really describe what "complete dependency analysis" is and
> the cons source doesn't make much sense to me - but I can't
> tolerate it. Ignoring system includes is IMHO a reasonable
> default, but for me it's a show-stopper, because our C++ coding
> standards prescribe using angle brackets in *all* includes
> (don't ask me why - I have no idea), and even if I wanted to
> scratch the rule (which I doubt is practically possible), I
> can't ignore all the existing code following it. I can patch
> cons to treat all includes as if they used quotes (I did), but
> I wanted to ask:
> Is cons supposed to always skip system includes?
> If yes, is it possible to make this behavior optional?

You need to add the directories that you want scanned, including system
directories, to the CPPPATH variable in the construction environment.

Cons doesn't populate CPPPATH with system include directories by
default because, in the general case, you don't know exactly what
those directories are unless you have very precise knowledge about the
operating system and the C-compiler tool chain.

        --SK