cons-discuss

RE: Some questions for Cons

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: RE: Some questions for Cons
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:06:41 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> Since for our products, we only support on Win4.0. So I would like to know
> whether Cons works pretty good on Win4.0. I am a perl user, and I have
> experiences on coding perl on both Unix and Win32. It looks like perl works
> better on Unix than on NT. We used to create a function using perl on Unix,
> but can not realize it on Win32. We have to use C++ to realize this
> function. Perl on Win32 is better now, since more and more people are
> developing more modules.

Could you clarify what you mean by the sentences above ?

What is "Win4.0" ?  (is it Windows NT 4.0, or some other OS I
                     haven't even heard about ?)

What do you mean by "It looks like perl works better on Unix than on NT" ?
What have been your specific problems ?
And how does it affect using Cons on NT ?

> I would like to know whether Cons meet the same problem as perl has?

I think both Perl and Cons works pretty well on the Win32-platforms
(I use it on  both NT and Windows2000).

Since both Perl and Cons were "born" on Unix, there have of course
been some problems historically with the earliest "ports".
But I don't think that is very relevant today.

Of course, both Perl and Cons could be made even better, but that
goes for Perl/Cons on UNIX as well as on the Win32-platforms ...

I'm really interested in having Cons work well on the
Win32-platforms, so if you have some Perl-related problems with Cons
on NT it would be interesting to understand the nature of those
problems.

Regards,
Johan Holmberg