cons-discuss

Indirect object syntax (was: Hmmm.... future of cons?)

From: vbar
Subject: Indirect object syntax (was: Hmmm.... future of cons?)
Date: 26 May 2002 15:53:53 -0000

Johan Holmberg wrote:
> Cons makes frequent use of "indirect object syntax"
> (described on page 313-- in the current version of the Camel
> book).
I see - thanks.

> Every time we write
> Program $e 'foo', 'foo.c';
A better example against my confusion would IMHO be
    $env = new cons(CC => 'gcc');
- which is really no different from
    find pkgname ($par1, $par2);
although C++ programmers (like me) may suppose otherwise...

> we use that syntax. The source code of Cons also uses that
> syntax (sometimes). I think this has been discussed before on
> the list, and people agreed that it  would be a good idea to
> change to using "normal" -> syntax everywhere in the source.
Count me in favor... :-)

> There is also an entry
> in the TODO file saying:
...but I'm also travelling at the moment - maybe next week...

> I think this would be a good idea, and make it easier for
> non-perl-experts to realize what is going on. Most people
> recognize "obj->method()" syntax from other OO-languages.
Atually, I'm pretty sure '->' is specific to C++ (and Perl)
- all other languages (OK, VB and Java :-) ) use '.'...

    Bye
        Vasek