Re: patches for multi-threaded cp and md5sum (along with other features)

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: patches for multi-threaded cp and md5sum (along with other features)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:55:02 -0600

Hello Paul,

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 09:29:20PM +0000, Paul Kolano (ARC-TN)[InuTeq, LLC]
wrote:
> Many years ago, I developed a set of patches to add a number of
> features to cp and md5sum [...]
>   https://pkolano.github.io/projects/mutil.html

Thanks for sharing, looks very impressive.

Because the changes are massive, before we can start looking into their
details and merits we'll need copyright assignment from the copyright
holder of the code (you or NASA).

For details please see here:
  https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.en.html

To start the process, please fill and submit the following form:

https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future

---

Additionally,
A cursory look at the patches [1] reveals several added terms in
accordance of GPLv3 section 7 (e.g. Indemnifying NASA and the U.S.
government).
This is of course absolutely fine and valid for a GPL project,
but I'm not sure if the FSF will agree to add additional terms to GNU
coreutils (I'm not saying they won't, I simply don't know).
Perhaps other maintainers can chime in, and if not, it is probably wise
to ask address@hidden before we can consider these patches for
inclusion.

[1]
https://github.com/pkolano/mutil/blob/master/patch/coreutils-8.22.patch