extending cp to use copy_file_range system call

From: Olga Kornievskaia
Subject: extending cp to use copy_file_range system call
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 16:12:46 -0400

Hi folks,

In the spirit of my inquiries about cp functionality, I'd like to ask
the community if there are any plans to make use of the
copy_file_range() system call that's been available in the linux
kernel for a number of years now. While it promises great improvement
to the network file systems that support copy offload functionality,
it also promises to benefit local file systems as well as it saves
copying into the use-provided buffers during read/write operations and
all is done in the kernel.

Are there any barriers to say having an option to the cp command to
use copy_file_range() instead of going a traditional route, would
there be objections to something like that?

Thank you.

(again please cc me on the replies as I'm not on the mailing list).