Re: How to convert a md5sum back to a timestamp?

From: Kaz Kylheku (Coreutils)
Subject: Re: How to convert a md5sum back to a timestamp?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 10:56:47 -0700

On 2019-07-31 20:36, Peng Yu wrote:
Hi,

Suppose that I know a md5sum that is derived one of the timestamps
computed below. Is there a way to quickly derive what the original
timestamp is? I could make a database of all the timestamps and their
md5sums. But as the total number of entries increases, this solution
will not be scalable as the database can be big. Is it there any
better solution to this problem?

for i in {1..2563200}; do date -d "-$i minutes" +%Y%m%d_%I%M%p; done

The solution to this is to back up several levels in whatever you are
working on, and restructure the approach to the real problem in such a
way that the flowchart box which says "And here we just crack MD5 sums" is
somehow eliminated.