Re: coreutils/man/rm.x - fails to mention POSIX "Refuse to remove path/.

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: coreutils/man/rm.x - fails to mention POSIX "Refuse to remove path/. and path/.., as well as `.' and `..'
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:07:56 +0200

Dragan Simic <dsimic@manjaro.org> writes:

[...snip...]
>> Here's an example session with which you can find, for instance,
>> warn_unused_result in the GCC manual:
>>  $ info gcc
>>  i warn_unused_result RET
>> This is something you couldn't do with a man-page and a pager, as
>> searching for 'warn_unused_result' will produce false matches.  This is
>> far worse with soemthing like '-g' for obvious reasons.  To reach the -g
>> flag in the GCC manual, you can:
>>  i g RET
>> which will immediately bring you to it.  In case it does not, you can
>> continue the index search using ','.
>
> Wow, this is AMAZINGLY GOOD, thank you very much! :)  It reminds me of using
> vim's built-in help, which is very enjoyable.  Even <Tab> works as expected in
> index searches in GNU info, which is awesome!
>
>> When opening info, you should be able to hit 'h' to get access to a
>> walkthrough on how to use info.  Unfortunately, this might be obscured
>> on your system, as many distributors package that manual as part of
>> Emacs rather than Texinfo (which is, again, due to the standalone viewer
>> suffering by trying to emulate Emacs, and so, trying to reuse its
>> manual).  My TODO list has filing bugs with a bunch of distributors to
>> fix this, but so far I have not tended to that.
>
> Thank you once again, I'll start using info for sure!  I'll also recommend it
> to other people.

Glad to be of assistance!  Indices are certainly quite useful, and are
the primary motivation behind my insistance on Infos continued
usefulness (and the primary driver behind my will to further try and
improve the surrounding ecosystem).  Cross references and the ability to
structure manuals in a tree rather than as a collection of flat pages is
also up there.

Have a lovely day.
--
Arsen Arsenović