'sort' command -- support more than one field-delimiter

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: 'sort' command -- support more than one field-delimiter
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:28:24 +0200

Consider a file like [1].
(Note that, in each line, the dates are in (month/day/year) format,
_without_ zero-padding)

I want to sort that file by date.

After looking at sort's documentation (and also searching a bit on the
internet), I fail to see a way to achieve that sorting, by just using
the "sort" command.

It seems that one can specify just _one_ character as field separator.
I was expecting to be able to specify more than one. Something like:
$ sort -n -t' /' -k5 -k3 -k4 file1.txt

I think it would give the flexibility I was looking for here.

What do you think?

--
Dani Moncayo

[1]