ddd

where & what is <xpm.h>?

From: Wayne Dernoncourt
Subject: where & what is <xpm.h>?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:18:25 -0400 (EDT)

I have an older version (3.2?) of DDD that was built and linked
with Gnu C++, unfortunately we are in the process of switching
to Sun's C++ compiler (CC: Sun WorkShop 6 2000/08/30 C++ 5.1
Patch 109490-01, running on SunOS Release 5.6 Version
Generic_105181-23 [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]) using CDE (1.2).

I can still run DDD, it does some unexpected things, for example,
instead of starting in the source code for the application, it
displays the source to another module, it doesn't display data
(this is probably related to name mangling differences), while the
application is executing, there is no indication in the source on
which line is executing (related to not opening the correct file).
When the guy across the hall uses DDD, it opens the correct source
file and tracks the currently executing line, he can't display data
either.

Deciding the easiest course of action is to recompile DDD, I check
for a new version.  There is one, it can use dbx (dbx? a Sun
debugger, it works, but DDD is a much better interface).  Tried
the default install.  The compile fails when it can't find <xpm.h>
in Xpm.h.  I don't see it in /usr/openwin tree anywhere (not sure
where else to look).  Any and all suggestions about how to either
get 3.2 working with either the Sun C++ compiler or dbx or how to
get 3.3.1 to compile would be appreciated.  Reading through the
help gives no clue on how to solve this.  The old gcc compiler is
still present in case it's needed, but the plan is to use the Sun
product (the reasons fade from memory, they seemed reasonable,
both gcc and Sun C++ had pro's and con's).  Any and all assistance
in solving all problems would be appreciated.

Take care      |   This clown speaks for himself, his job doesn't
Wayne D.       |   pay for this, etc. (directly anyway)